|Original Air Date||December 6, 2006|
|English Air Date||June 21, 2008|
|Written by||Ichirō Ōkouchi|
|Directed by||Kazuya Murata|
|The Black Knights||Guren Dances|
Refrain is the ninth episode of Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion.
Told mostly from Kallen's perspective, her rocky relationship with her biological mother is revealed while the Black Knights are sent on a mission to take out the drug "Refrain," and find themselves to be popular among the Japanese. Kallen's mother is found among the Refrain users, and is arrested following the Black Knights' destruction of the drug stockpiles. Kallen promises to have changed the world by the time she is released.
Characters in Order of AppearanceEdit
Knightmare Frames in Order of AppearanceEdit
- Refrain Drug pin Bust (Concluded)
Powers or Abilities usedEdit
- "Just go... will you?" - Kallen Kozuki
- Conversation between the Student Council members
- Milly Ashford: "Good meow-ning!"
- Kallen Kōzuki: "Good... morning I guess. What is all this?"
- Rivalz Cardemonde: "What do you mean, didn't we tell you? It's our welcome party for Arthur!"
- Kallen Kozuki': "Sounds like fun"
- Shirley Fenette: "Oh, I left some stuff for you too - over here! Take your pick!"
- Lelouch Lamperouge: "She doesn't need a costume. You're already wearing a mask, aren't you?"
- Kallen Kozuki: "You know you're a real riot, you know that? You should be on television."
- Shirley Fenette: "Ugh, I can't believe we keep on getting asked about it!"
- Suzaku Kururugi: "Oh, I thought she meant Lelouch."
- Shirley Fenette: "The whole thing's a huge pain in the butt! We've been hounded with questions day and night! Even in the bath!"
- Milly Ashford: "We haven't been able to leave school grounds in a week..."
- Rivalz Cardemonde: "Not that I don't feel for you, but I don't see why we can't leave either."
- Milly Ashford: "That's the price of friendship. The Romance of the Three Kingdoms, 'it matters not that we were born apart. Upon this day, we die as one.'"
- Rivalz Cardemonde: "Is that your idea of a love quote?"
- Milly Ashford: "If I go down, then we all do."
- Rivalz Cardemonde: "That's a little dark. What do you think Suza- huh?"
- Suzaku Kururugi: "I'm just so glad, you know... that we could all be together like this..."
- "It's so funny to think I helped save their lives. Ever since we made our big splash at the hotel jacking, the Black Knights have taken the world by storm. We've become a friend to the weak, just as Zero proclaimed we would. Terrorists who involve civilians, an overbearing military, criminal syndicates, corrupt politicians and profiteers... If the law would not punish them, then we would. In the blink of an eye, we'd become heroes. Support for us has swelled. We've even got our hands on a few Knightmares again. 'Course no one could show that in public, because... Because our leader, Zero, had killed Prince Clovis. There are many in our ranks who wish to know his true identity, myself included. But if we push too hard, I suspect that he would vanish. And without him, I'm fairly certain we'd be finished." - Kallen Stadtfeld
- "Still, some things in life we can bear on our own, but - when you add them all up, they eventually break you". - Milly Ashford
- Conversation between Lelouch and Suzaku
- Lelouch Lamperouge: "I can't believe you teared up. It's so embarrassing."
- Suzaku Kururugi: "It's called honesty - ow!"
- Lelouch Lamperouge: "Well, good thing the Black Knights were there to save 'em. That's all I can say."
- Suzaku Kururugi: "If they wanted to catch criminals, they could've joined the police force, y'know. Why don't they, I wonder?"
- Lelouch Lamperouge: "They probably don't think the cops are up to the job. I tend to agree.
- Suzaku Kururugi: "The police may not be that effective right now, but they could invoke change from within."
- Lelouch Lamperouge: "Yeah, and in the process, the get all tangled up in red tape and bureaucracy."
- Suzaku Kururugi: "If they had done everything in their power to change things, that might hold water. As long as they don't, then all of it's just self-righteous posturing.
- Lelouch Lamperouge: "Self-righteous?"
- Suzaku Kururugi: "And what constitutes evil in their eyes? What standards are they using? It's nothing but self-satisfying gratification."
- Conversation between Lelouch and Kallen
- Lelouch Lamperouge: "In some ways, Area 11 is better off now than the old Japan ever was. Being made a colony of the empire has stabilized its military and economic position in the world. Elevens can even obtain full citizenship through the legal process. It's easy to become an Honorary Britannian, it's just a question of pride, really. Though, I can certainly understand why they'd resist."
- Kallen Stadtfeld: "And? Knowing all that, what does Lelouch Lamperouge think about it all? What do you want to do?"
- Lelouch Lamperouge: "Nothing."
- Kallen Stadtfeld: "You know, you've got a lot of brains but you don't seem to be doing much with them. It's all Shirley talks about; saying how intelligent you are but how you barely ever apply yourself.
- Lelouch Lamperouge: "That's why I don't do anything. That Eleven we saw back there could tell you, he can lead a better life as long as he bows his head to Britannia."
- Kallen Stadtfeld: [Slaps Lelouch] "You must think you're pretty cool, huh?! Just playing the critic and judging the world from the sidelines? Guess I was a fool to expect anything more from you. You know, I really thought you were a better man than this."
- Conversation between Kallen and her mother
- Kallen's Mother: "I'm here for you, Kallen. I'm here as I always have been."
- Kallen Stadtfeld: "Then that's... That's why you stayed in his house? You stayed there for me? You fool! ...Or maybe I'm the fool."
- Kallen's Mother: "I'm so happy for you. You can finally become a Britannian now, Kallen. Nobody will ever be able to hurt you now, darling. And you're free to travel and use the phone any time you want."
- "False tears bring pain to those around you. A false smile brings pain to one's self." - C.C.
- Conversation between Kallen and her mother
- Kallen Stadtfeld: "Mother, your sentence... You got 20 years. But you wait! I'm working to change things when you get out, I swear to you! I'll make a world where you and I can live a normal life again, so please, mother..."
- Kallen's Mother: "Hang in there... Hang in there, Kallen. My little girl."
- Kallen Stadtfeld: "Don't you worry. I will. I promise you."
- "Memories of the past? Those who indulge in them are foolishly happy. Because they assume that tomorrow is coming. But really, what guarantee is there of that? If Kallen is struggling to dis-spell such illusions, I'll stand by her. All we can do is live each day, one moment at a time." - Lelouch Lamperouge (Preview for the next episode)